Di Rollo of Musselburgh was established in 1899 by Domenico Di Rollo who came to Scotland from Roccasecca, a small Italian village near Cassino, in Italy. He started his ice cream and confectionery business in the east coast fishing town of Musselburgh and within a few years he had opened a second shop and business was thriving.
In the early 1950s his son, also named Domenico, established the manufacturing and wholesale side of the business which expanded steadily resulting in new premises being built in 1977. By this time there was a third generation of the Di Rollo family running the firm. Young Domenico’s sons, Reno and Kevin, continued the business bringing new and innovative flavours of ice cream and sorbets to the people of Musselburgh, East Lothian and beyond.
In 1986, their sister Elaine took over the running of the family shop in Bridge Street selling 20 flavours of ice cream which was something new for the town of Musselburgh. Today, the range of flavours on offer has grown and is complemented by a wide selection of handmade Belgian chocolates. Business continued to expand and by 1992 another new factory was required to meet demand.
The current facility was completed and in production by April 1994. It complies with all the latest EU directives for food premises and is capable of producing over 600 litres of ice cream an hour. The Di Rollo family are proud of their products and hope their ice cream will be enjoyed by their many loyal customers for generations to come.